On Apr 10, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Ben Abbott wrote:
>> It is has been suggested that the SuiteSparse static libraries be
>> converted to dynamic libraries instead.
>
> Why are they static? Are they shared libraries on other platforms? Who
> suggested the change?

They are originally static because that developers of SuiteSparse
choose to make them so.

Alexander asked if they might be changed.

>> Rather than attempt to modify the makefiles directly, I'd like to
>> try to directly convert the static libraries to dynamic ones.
>>
>> My thought is to do something like
>>
>> # Extract the object files from the static library.
>> ar -x libamd.a
>> # Build the dynamic version of the library.
>> gcc -dynamiclib -arch_only `/usr/bin/arch` -o libamd.dylib *.o
>
> Change to libamd.0.dylib and you would also want to add -install_name
> $libdir/libamd.0.dylib. Please use a symlink so that the package can
> be
> splitoff correctly into -dev and -shlibs packages. Are the objects in
> the static archive built with any options? Specifically -fast or
> -mdynamic-no-pic? If so, this strategy will not work.

Forgive my naivete, but do I have this right?

# Extract the object files from the static library.
ar -x libamd.a
# Build the dynamic version of the library.
gcc -dynamiclib -install_name $libdir/libamd.o.dylib -o libamd.0.dylib
*.o

Also can you give me the explicit command needed for symlink part?

Regarding "any options", it does not look like there are any. However,
I haven't looked through all the detail. If you're so inclined, the
tracker item is below

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1923649&group_id=17203&atid=414256

The source code can be downloaded here

        http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/

>> I have no practical experience with building libraries, and thought
>> it a good idea to inquire here.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what options are needed, desired,
>> recommended, etc?
>
> If they static library is fat, ar x will not work. If they are not
> fat,
> you do not need to add -arch_only.

They are not fat.

Ben