Dave,
   I'll update the packaging I have for openmotif3-2.2.4-1 and
openmotif4-2.3.0-1 on fink tracking to use the new xmkmf package's
xmkmf. I've emailed Ben Hines to find out if he is still actively
maintaining openmotif3. If not, I would be happy to take that
over as well as lesstif and the new openmotif4 package.
               Jack
ps You may have noticed the previous threads on lesstif which
indicate that supporting the newer versions of lesstif will
require that package to lose the existing Motif 1.2 shared
libraries. While this violates fink policy, it is impossible
that this change will break any packages since lesstif hasn't
been installing the Motif-1.2 headers (required to build against
the Motif-1.2 shared libraries). Also, Motif-2.1 has been the
default for lesstif since around 2001. Lesstif stopped building
Motif-1.2 in late 2004.