I've tried to write an expanded error message for the situation where
the validator encounters a shared library in a .deb which is not
listed in the Shlibs field.  (The code is in HEAD, but not yet
released.)  Here's a sample error message:

Validating .deb file fontforge_20080330-1_darwin-powerpc.deb...
Error: package contains a shared library
           /sw/lib/fontforge/libfontforge.1.0.0.dylib
        but the install_name and compatibility_version
           (%p/lib/fontforge/libfontforge.1.dylib 2.0.0)
        are not listed in the Shlibs field.  If this library is
public, in the
        sense that it may be linked to by other packages, then these
must be
        listed in the Shlibs field, along with versioning information
about the
        package providing the library.  However, if this is a private
library
        which will be used only by this package, add
           '!%p/lib/fontforge/libfontforge.1.dylib'
        to the Shlibs field.

(Note to Daniel: your package doesn't actually generate this error: I
hacked it so that it would!)

I hope that this both correctly and clearly conveys the intent -- I
know that earlier versions have had shortcomings.

Also, if the install_name doesn't begin with /sw (or your local
prefix), a different error message is generated which points out that
the install_name is malformed.  This is to address the apparent issue
reported here:  http://www.nabble.com/qmake,-no-.la,-and-a-validator-
error-td16228400.html and here: http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/
fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/8879391.html

Any feedback on this?