James Bunton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 09:28:51PM -0400, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>> On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:55 PM, James Bunton wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I can tell doxygen does not need to depend on graphviz or
>>> LaTeX. Removing these two dependencies would make the dependency list
>>> of many packages significantly smaller. Graphviz in particular pulls
>>> in a lot of other packages.
>>> <snip>
>> You may want to check out
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.macosx.fink.user/27082
>
> From the link you posted:
>> doxygen builds w/out the need for latex, graphviz, and ghostscript if
>> you remove the "make install_docs" line from InstallScript.  There's a
>> check for dot (from graphviz) during ./configure, but I don't know if
>> the output of the build is the same w/ or w/out it.
>
> I'm happy to have a shot at making a doxygen.info and doxygen-docs.info
> doxygen-docs can bring in everything needed to build the doxygen
> samples, but would not need to be depended on by anything. doxygen
> proper would be built to always work with whatever was installed at
> runtime. If a package needed doxygen with graphviz, it could depend on
> both of them.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable and useful approach to others?

The split and how others should depend on it sound right (as I
understood it when I very lightly tested this idea back in that thread).
  The biggest thing to check is that the doxygen binary gets built
identically irregardless of what supporting packages are installed (ie
graphviz, etc).  I don't know/use doxygen to test this (and didn't want
to install graphviz an 90 supporting packages to really test this), but
it should be straightforward to build doxygen w/out
graphviz/latex/ghostscript absent and present (but not set up as a
Depends on the .info file) and compare the outputs to make sure they're
identical.

Hanspeter