This email is informational in case it shows up again for other people.

I was building gcc44 on a clean 10.5/32bit system and the build
continuously failed when using --build-as-nobody (important note: this
system does _not_ have the passwd package installed and no fink-bld
user, so --build-as-nobody uses the system built-in 'nobody' user).
After some testing, I found out the cause of the error and am listing my
findings here for the record.  The subject line is from an old
fink-devel thread[1] from 2008 with an identical symptom in another
package, so hopefully the archives will find it and list it as part of
that thread.

The --build-as-nobody build was halting with the following output:
****
checking how to create a ustar tar archive...
ATTENTION! cpio archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 2
Input archive name or "." to quit cpio.
Archive name >
****

Entering '.' (or ctrl-D) was the only way it would proceed.  When
building as a normal user, gnutar was successfully found for the
configure test with no manual intervention.  I tracked this test down to
it's configure.ac file, where the macro is called as:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.9.0 gnu std-options tar-ustar -Wno-portability])

This generates a test for several tar and tar-like programs.  When
building as nobody, these tests all exited with variations of:

****
tar: value 4294967294 out of uid_t range 0..2097151

or

pax: Ustar header field is too small for uid 4294967294, using nobody
****

'id nobody' gives --> "uid=4294967294(nobody) gid=4294967294(nobody)
groups=4294967294(nobody)".  4294967294 must be too large for some
system call, which led to the error in the configure test, which led to
the build halting (why the cpio test becomes interactive is a whole
other issue that I'm not touching).  The user fink-bld has an id=266, so
the error doesn't show up when that is present and explains why most
people using --build-as-nobody did not get the build halt.

Adding "am_cv_prog_tar_ustar=gnutar" (the results from a successful
non-nobody build) to ConfigureParams as suggested by pogma[2] did not
work because that particular secondary ./configure is not passed the
options from the main ./configure script (however, it might work for
other programs that only have one ./configure).

Hopefully this information is a useful addition to the archives.

Hanspeter

[1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg16815.html

[2]