Hi Max, my apologies.  This only got half-implmented last night and I was going
to send out an email after it was finished, but I can explain it now.

Our strategy for handling EOL for 10.4 is to place copies of all .info/.patch
files into this 10.4-EOL subdirectory of finkinfo, and then to modify fink so
that on 10.4 fink only sees those copies while on 10.5 and later, fink ignores
those copies.  (This will be implemented in fink-0.30.2 which is about to be
released.)

This way, people who are interested in using and/or supporting 10.4 can
continue to do so, but in their own area which won't affect the later
distributions.

There is an overhead for users, of course, who are getting extra copies of
.info/.patch files, but I expect those will mostly be static.  All of the other
strategies we thought of has worse overhead for users or maintainers.

As for 10.7, there is still an ongoing debate about whether 10.7 should
continue to use the "10.4" directory or start a new one.  This bifurcation will
actually make it a lot easier to use 10.7 with the old directory, since we can
now remove OS X 10.4-specific versions of packages.  (For example, we might
currently have foo.info and foo-10.6.info with the former handling both 10.4
and 10.5; this can now be switched to foo-10.5.info and foo.info with the
latter handling both 10.6 and 10.7.)

  -- Dave