On Jun 24, 2012, at 10:17 AM, David Lowe wrote:

> On 2012 Jun 22, at 2:35 PM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
>
>> Buildworlds and dist-wide package roundups (like unstable->stable
>> or multi-package dep upgrades) need a lot of overlapping local
>> modifications and VCS-updating steps, and I stopped trying to do local
>> fixes in the only non-Fink git repo I look at, because there simple
>> local fixes kept getting in the way of easily merging upstream changes.
>
>       Even though git is being sold as a plug-in replacement for cvs, it
> shouldn't be approached the same.  An ideal workflow in git is to immediately
> create a local branch every time you work on something.  You can update the
> master all you want, and the temporary branch shouldn't need updating unless
> the master gets a new patch that you want.  The biggest difficulty is
> overcoming old habits…

This sounds great for people writing code for fink-the-program, but I'm still
trying to understand how we would use git to manage our large collection of
fink ".info" files which make up the various "dists" directories.

The workflow for these has always been that there is a single master
repository, all package maintainers are allowed to update their own packages
within that master repository, and those changes are immediately propagated to
users via the more static rsync selfupdating method.

It's as if every update by a package maintainer is supposed to trigger a
release, which should include everything from the previous releases as well.

How should I be thinking about this workflow in a git context?

  -- Dave