On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:

>>> Dave,
>>>   Don't you mean to say that -pm5124 support needs to be added for 10.8? Or
>>> are you saying
>>> we won't be using the system perl and will use a fink provided 5.12.3 on
>>> 10.8 instead?
>>>                Jack
>>>

>> 10.8 will have two perls available: the system perl, and a fink-proivded
>> perl 5.12.3.  The fink-provided one will be particularly useful for people
>> upgrading from 10.7, who may have various -pm5123 packages installed already.
>
> To clarify, this will be like with 10.6, right?  pm5100 packages use
> /usr/bin/perl5.10.0, and pm588 use /sw/bin/perl5.8.8.
>
> So goind forward, pm5123 on 10.8 will use /sw/bin/perl5.12(.3?) and pm5124
> will use /usr/bin/perl5.12(.4?).
>
> Since there's no official upgrade path from 10.6 to 10.7 (though 10.6/x86_64
> sometimes works), is it worth sending pm5123 back to 10.6 and adding it as a
> variant to all the applicable perlmods?  Or are the modifications to files in
> the 10.4 tree only occurring so that identical .info files are kept in
> identical (even if pm5123/pm5124 won't ever exist there)?
>
> Hanspeter

We decided when 10.7 was introduced not to port perl 5.12.3 back to 10.6 or
port perl 5.10.0 forward to 10.7, in part because we were changing trees and so
it wouldn't really be needed for an upgrade.  This decision could be
reconsidered, of course, but I'm not aware of any demand for perl 5.12.3 on
10.6 or perl 5.10.0 on 10.7.

The only reason I will modify files in the 10.4 tree is to keep them identical
with files in the 10.7 tree for ease of maintenance.  If there is already a
difference between the two files, I won't bother to backport the new one.

  -- Dave