We've been dragging python26 along for years, since back when it was the latest
thing. It's not. Python27 has been available in fink for many years, and even
in the past several OS X versions. Upstream says "Python itself has jumped to
the 3.x series in 2008, with some major changes that may make upgrading
non-trivial in some cases, so it makes sense to keep "some" python2.x in fink
(OS X still has python27 and maybe older also). Upstream plans to keep 27 in
maintenance mode for at least a while longer but gave up on even security
patches for 26 as I understand it.

As of yesterday, the only dependencies on python26 are the -py26 suite of
modules--there does not appear to be anything outside of this self-contained
tree. Is it time to chop down that tree? There are no -py26 modules that do not
have a parallel -py27 variant. Ordinarily, I'd not object to keeping ancient
versions of things around and just stop bringing them forward when we roll the
next Distribution, but python26 is also the only package still using db48,
another ancient version. I'd love to stop having to support ancient versions of
things that are not even getting security-support upstream altogether.

dan

 --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org