On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:47:58 +0200, Max Horn <m...@quendi.de> wrote:
Dear Hanspeter,

> On 17.08.2014, at 21:18, Hanspeter Niederstrasser
> <f...@snaggledworks.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Fink developers and users,
> > > I've just published the results of a buildworld run on a 10.9
> system. > The buildworld tries to build every package in the Fink
> tree from > scratch on a clean environment and so will find packaging
> problems that > may be hidden on a production system.
>
> Thanks for that!
>
> > > The general report broken down by results category is here:
> > http://www.snaggledworks.com/fink/buildworld/2014-07-24/out/report.html
> > > The listing by maintainer is here:
> > http://www.snaggledworks.com/fink/buildworld/2014-07-24/out/maintindex.html
>
> On both of these, there is a link to "failure category definitions",
> pointing to
>
>   http://www.snaggledworks.com/fink/buildworld/2014-07-24/out/filters.xml
>
> but this gives me a 404 error.
>

> In any case, I fixed some of the issues you pointed out (in sdl2,
> fflas-ffpack, mc, the-silver-searcher) but now am mostly left with
> "failures/project/insufficient_permission" failures, but I am not
> quite sure what the failure indicates. Perhaps this:
>
>   cp: /sw/share/info/dir.bak: Permission denied
>
> I think this is caused by the install-info tool and the fact that the
> affected packages (e.g. grep) use the "InfoDocs" fields. I don't
> think a package author can do much about that, can they? As such,
> perhaps you could check if the above line is the only one with
> "permission denied", and in that case, demote the "failure" to a
> "warning" ?

In a packaging context, install-info should be deferred to the actual
live install (.deb -> %p) rather than during the writing to the staging
directory (InstallScript -> %i). InfoDocs automatically does the
former. Some build systems automatically disable install-info in the %i
context, but others need to be disabled explicitly by the maintainer.
It's always doable, but there are many variations among the build tools
(sometimes an autoconf flag, sometimes a make variable, sometimes
manually commenting out part of a makefile).

dan

--
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org