After updating to 10.12, cvs started behaving badly. On every selfupdate it
would ask me for my admin password multiple times in a row and then my sf.net
password. Turns out that my ssh keys, which I generated years ago, were dsa
keys. Starting with OpenSSH 7 dsa keys are disabled by default. 10.11 has
OpenSSH 6.9 which was happy with my old keys but 10.12 has 7.2 which was not.
Generating new rsa keys and uploading it to sf.net fixed the problem.

So try making new keys if you have cvs problems. :)

Daniel