We had thought that libXt wasn’t actually linked in the X11 tree, but this
appears not to be so.

It’s linked by:
/opt/X11/lib/libXaw6.6.dylib
/opt/X11/lib/libXaw7.7.dylib:
/opt/X11/lib/libXaw8.8.dylib:
/opt/X11/lib/libXaw3d.8.dylib:
(these may not matter since we’ve got libxaw3dxft2)
/opt/X11/lib/libxkbui.1.dylib
/opt/X11/lib/libXmu.6.dylib

The last one appears to be what is causing runtime failures with xemacs, since
xemacs links to /opt/X11/lib/libXmu.6.dylib and to /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib,
along with our libXaw.8.dylib (libxaw3dxft-shlibs) which now links to Fink’s
libxt.6.dylib from libxt-shlibs.

Unfortunately, the whole rationale for having our own libxt (not so much for
libxt-flat) was to try to provide a consistent libXt so that people wouldn’t
have things break when updating from Xquartz 2.7.8 to later versions where
libXt has been mucked with.

Here are some options:

1)  Ditch libxt, possibly libxt-flat, and roll our own Xquartz
2)  Ditch libxt, and force people to install Xquartz-2.7.11.  Right now we’d
have to use the “system-pkgconfig-xorg-server” virtual package to do this.  In
principle we could adjust system-xfree86* to get the aggregate Xquartz release
version instead of the “2:7.2” that we’ve been using for ages, but I don’t know
if that gets stored anywhere but the package receipt, and that’s somewhat
fragile to rely on.

We’d want to adjust the fink-package-precedence script appropriately for
whichever option we pick.

#2 seems like the least work in the short term, but I know that some folks in
the community don’t like it when we force dependencies on particular versions
of non-Fink tools (e.g. the Xcode CL tools).
#1 would rely on some kind soul being willing/able to maintain a Fink Xquartz,
and we’d have to modify our existing X11-using packages to use only a Fink
Xquartz.

Though I’m leaning towards the following options:

3)  Stop bothering with X11 packages
4)  Give the hell up
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.