Do the following.

1)  Rename ('sudo mv') /sw/var/lib/dpkg/available to something else.
2)  Run dselect as root ('sudo dselect) and select 1) [U]pdate --this will
download a new file for you.
3)  If you get an error again, send a message to this list--with the
error messages included.

By the way: what editor did you use when you edited the file the first
time?

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University