I'm using the binary distribution on my old iBook (not enough disk
space for the Developer Tools), and I've run into a problem when
doing an update.

I did a "sudo dselect", updated the list of packages, and checked the
list of packages in the [S]elect screen of deselect.  I saw that two
packages were in the section "    --- Updated packages (newer version
is available) ---" (imlib and netpbm-bin).

I hit return to move to the next phase, and ended up in the
dependency resolution process.  I was informed that:

imlib depends on imlib-shlibs (= 1.9.10-9)
imlib-shlibs does not appear to be available

netpbm-bin depends on netpbm-shlibs (= 9.24-4)

The only way out seemed to be to put these packages in the "hold" state.

I then tried apt-get to see if it would shed any more light:

[ibook:~] kwh% sudo apt-get install imlib
Password:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

   imlib: Depends: imlib-shlibs (= 1.9.10-9) but it is not installable
E: Sorry, broken packages

[ibook:~] kwh% sudo apt-get install netpbm-bin
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

   netpbm-bin: Depends: netpbm-shlibs (= 9.24-4) but 9.24-2 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

So, I'm suspecting a problem with the binary distribution, and I just
need to wait a bit for it to get sorted out.  Or is this a problem
with my system?  How to tell the difference?

I've info'd the maintainer for netpbm, but Christoph Pfisterer is
listed for imlib, and I understand that he is no longer with the
project.

Thanks to all those who make fink happen :)

Kevin Horton