Artemio Gonzalez-Lopez wrote:
This is the crash log I get after trying to start xemacs:
[]
Thread 0 Crashed:
 #0   0x001a7418 in re_match_2_internal (regex.c:5507)
[etc]

I can't help with the crash, I don't get it myself. I can run an Xemacs compiled under a Fink version of xfree86 without problems under Apple's X11 . But then I remember that not long ago I had mysterious XEmacs crashes, too, that others weren't getting.
[]
As to xemacs' config.log output (regarding the Athena widgets), here's what I get:
Here, OTOH, I see now what is going on, and it is not nice. It means basically that if you want to compile any application that uses X11, you have to start from zero, i.e. you first have to recompile any library that links to anything in /usr/X11R6/lib.

In individual cases, you can perhaps get away with recompiling *some* libraries. For XEmacs, if you first "fink rebuild xaw3d", you will at least be able to finish the configure script and start compiling. Whether it works afterwards, I don't yet know. But it would be good if you could try and find out.

This will pose a serious problem for Fink. We will have to discuss this with the other Fink developers.

[]
configure:8977: checking for threeDClassRec in -lXaw3d
configure:8993: gcc -o conftest -g -O3 -Wall -Wno-switch -Winline -Wmissing-prototypes -Wsign-compare -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -I/sw/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lXaw3d -ltiff -lpng -ljpeg -lz -lXpm -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lSM -lICE 1>&5
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol __XFlushGCCache
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib(CrGC.o) definition of __XFlushGCCache
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib(CrGC.o) definition of __XFlushGCCache
Unfortunately, there are not only "warnings", but actual errors about multiple definitions. You don't show them here, but they are there, whenever libXt is involved, for example.
[]
configure: failed program was:
#line 8982 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char threeDClassRec();

int main() {
threeDClassRec()
; return 0; }