Hi,

On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 07:12 AM, David H. Peyton wrote:

If the problem resides strictly in the code (which I don't always have
access to), then Why does it work on Linux, but not on Darwin? I have more
recently hit the 'segmentation fault' in an Aria/CNS implementation, which
does rely on Python/Numeric. BTW, I have tried both Numeric & Numeric-Atlas,
with identical results.

Again, the question: What's a 'segmentation fault'? And is there a way
around it?
You've got an answer from Mono Toy. So, I won't repeat it.

This happens to me enough that I suspect that some others are also seeing
these.
Without specific information, I'm guessing that the set of problems you're experiencing are caused by:

1) older version of packages
2) mixture of programs built against threaded and unthreaded
version of X Window libraries

As for 2, X11 from Apple is more susceptible to it than XDarwin, because it is not thread-safe.

Even if you use the same program, or more exactly the same "code", the resulting binaries built on Linux and Mac OS are very likely to be different in nontrivial ways. So, if problems of this sort arises, the most likely source of problems is in your environment, specifically X Window libraries, in your case.

Check out if your environment is reasonablly updated. If not, updated it *after* bakcing up all of your crucial stuff and data. This is specifically recommended to researchers who tend to rely heavily on their data.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask them, with enough detail provided with them.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Kow