I'm forwarding my post to X11 User list. I thought Martin's suggestion really helped my case, but ...

Kow

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kow K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:44:32 PM US/Pacific
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I have a dilemma in colors ...

Hi,

I'm reporting a problem with interchangeability between X11 and XDarwin. If this is a known problem, please discard it. I tried to see if it is the case on the list archive, but it turned out that keyword search wasn't functional and I gave up my attempt.

I'm running 10.2.3 on PowerBook G3 Series 256MHz. On my system, I have XDarwin and X11 installed. XDarwin is installed via Fink. I performed a hack suggested by Mechèle Geroche to get both to work on the same system. (Thanks, Michèle ;-))

But it turnd out today that there is a problem with this setting that probably evidences a piece of incompatitbility between the two systems. The symptom is this:

1. On X11, many apps crash in "thousands of colors" mode for monitor
setting. Notably, WindowMaker and virtually everthing in KDE. They run
just fine in "millions of colors" mode

2. In "millions" mode, though, XDarwin (rooted mode) crashes when I
switch to Aqua. XDarwin runs just fine in "thousands" mode.

Cheers,
Kow