On Sunday, Feb 9, 2003, at 13:58 Europe/Brussels, Kow K wrote:

I solved the problem by myself, by brute force: I manually removed the following offending lines from the /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status, and it worked like a charm.

The offending lines in are:

Package: ghostscript6
Section: text
I'm wondering how this could happen. I can only guess it is related to a Terminal crash during a previous update process ...

I also wonder if there isn't other smarter and more peaceful way to solve it.

Yes, slightly _ at least making sure that your databases are again correct :

Whenever dpkg complains of an error in /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status, do first a diff
between /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status and /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status-old, and note the
packages involved.
Then save provisionally /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status in some safe place, and copy
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/status-old to /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status.
Then, for each of the packages for which there was a difference, do at least
a purge and an install (if necessary forced) with dpkg _ at that stage the dpkg
databases should be consistent with your installation _ before bringing to the
desired state with fink install and remove _ to undo whatever bad effects the
'force's may have had.

You may still want to check at the end whether what fink thinks of your system
is fully consistent with what dpkg does, by running
dpkg -l | grep -v '^ii'
which should ideally return an empty package list.

JF Mertens