After deleting the pango package, I did a grep on all these directories on my hard disk:

sudo grep -r FT_Acccess_Frame /bin /etc /sw /usr /var

came up empty-handed!

I also tried your locate suggestion, and again no luck (i.e. grep found nothing).

I agree with you that it seems strange that it is only in the .o file and not a package .c or .h, but it could be some macro expansion in the code. The other thing to note is that the binary version of gaim, also gives these "missing symbols" as a runtime error. So I still suspect the problem is somewhere in the pango package and not specific to my computer.

So I did a grep on /sw/src and found:

Binary file /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/.libs/ftxgdef.o matches
Binary file /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/.libs/ftxgpos.o matches
Binary file /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/.libs/ftxgsub.o matches
Binary file /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/.libs/ftxopen.o matches
Binary file /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/.libs/libpango-ot.a matches

In other words, it seems to me that the source of the pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2 package is contains a call to these routines which have been deprecated as you say, and that's what is screwing things up. Is it possible that somehow old code got into the repositories for these files?

No, it is not in the sources, otherwise you would get a hit from one of the source text files. Check /sw/src/pango1-xft2-1.2.5-2/pango-1.2.5/pango/opentype/ftxgdef.{c,h}
for example.

This is even weirder than I thought, because the *.o files are not yet linked to anything outside, so the symbols in question must come from some of the header files they are including. I am now suspecting things that you possibly have in /usr/local. Do a grep FT_Access_Frame in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include. Or maybe /opt/local or something.

You could also (if your locate database is filled) do a

locate ftstream.h |xargs grep FT_Access_Frame

because this is the header file where these things used to be defined.

--
Aron Trauring
Zoteca http://www.zoteca.com/