I think I have either found a bug in fink, or a special case that hasn't been covered by code yet, or perhaps a set-up problem on my machine.

I use a PowerMac G4 as a binary package repository, to avoid having to build packages on the other three, slower computers that also use fink. I use the method suggested by Benjamin Reed on his web site:

http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/archives/000258.html

This works very well with apt-get, but doesn't seem to work properly with "fink -b install".

I recently ran "fink scanpackages" on the PowerMac, then updated apt-get on my PowerBook. Then I tried a "fink -b install gnumeric". However, fink wanted to build some gnome stuff, even though all the .debs should have been available on the PowerMac. I aborted, then did a successful "apt-get install gnumeric", which shows that all needed .debs were available. See the transcript at the end of this message for the details of what I did, and what happened.

Do I need to add a "Mirror-apt" line in fink.conf to cover the unstable .deb repository on my PowerMac? If so, would the value I need be "http://pmac/fink"; (see my sources.list and fink.conf below)? If so, "man fink" needs an update. Or, should fink use the info in apt's sources.list?

Thanks for fink,

Kevin Horton
========================

% fink --version | head -n2
Package manager version: 0.23.3
Distribution version: 0.7.1.rsync

% sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.3.6
BuildVersion:   7R28

cat /sw/etc/apt/sources.list # Local modifications should either go above this line, or at the end. # # Default APT sources configuration for Fink, written by the fink program

# Local package trees - packages built from source locally
# NOTE: this is automatically kept in sync with the Trees: line in
# /sw/etc/fink.conf
# NOTE: run 'fink scanpackages' to update the corresponding Packages.gz files
deb file:/sw/fink local main
deb file:/sw/fink stable main crypto
deb file:/sw/fink unstable main crypto

# Official binary distribution: download location for packages
# from the latest release
deb http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download 10.3/release main crypto

# Official binary distribution: download location for updated
# packages built between releases
deb http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download 10.3/current main crypto

# Put local modifications to this file below this line, or at the top.
deb http://pmac/fink stable main crypto
deb http://pmac/fink unstable main crypto
deb http://pmac/fink local main

% cat /sw/etc/fink.conf # Fink configuration, initially created by bootstrap.pl Basepath: /sw RootMethod: sudo Trees: local/main stable/main stable/crypto unstable/main unstable/crypto Distribution: 10.3 FetchAltDir: Mirror-apt: http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download Mirror-cpan: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/ Mirror-ctan: ftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/ Mirror-debian: ftp.debian.org Mirror-gimp: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub Mirror-gnome: ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/ Mirror-gnu: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu Mirror-kde: ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/ Mirror-master: http://distfiles.master.finkmirrors.net/ Mirror-rsync: rsync://master.us.finkmirrors.net/finkinfo/ Mirror-sourceforge: http://west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ MirrorContinent: nam MirrorCountry: nam-us MirrorOrder: MasterFirst ProxyPassiveFTP: true Verbose: 2 SelfUpdateMethod: rsync

=========================
% sudo apt-get update
Password:
Get:1 http://pmac stable/main Packages [42.4kB]
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/release/main Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/release/main Release
Get:2 http://pmac stable/main Release [86B]
Get:3 http://pmac stable/crypto Packages [2141B]
Get:4 http://pmac stable/crypto Release [88B]
Get:5 http://pmac unstable/main Packages [75.6kB]
Get:6 http://pmac unstable/main Release [88B]
Get:7 http://pmac unstable/crypto Packages [7590B]
Get:8 http://pmac unstable/crypto Release [90B]
Get:9 http://pmac local/main Packages [3314B]
Get:10 http://pmac local/main Release [85B]
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/release/crypto Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/release/crypto Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/current/main Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/current/main Release
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/current/crypto Packages
Hit http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.3/current/crypto Release
Fetched 131kB in 10s (13.1kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

% fink -b install gnumeric
Information about 4217 packages read in 3 seconds.
The following package will be installed or updated:
gnumeric
The following 10 additional packages will be installed:
gail17-dev gnome-icon-theme gtksourceview gtksourceview-dev
gtksourceview-shlibs libgda-dev libgnomedb-dev libgnomeprint2.2-dev
libgnomeprintui2.2-dev libgsf-gnome-dev
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
curl -f -L -O http://distfiles.master.finkmirrors.net/gnome-icon-theme-1.2.3.tar.bz2
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'distfiles.master.finkmirrors.net'
### execution of curl failed, exit code 6
Downloading the file "gnome-icon-theme-1.2.3.tar.bz2" failed.

(1)      Give up
(2)      Retry the same mirror
(3)      Retry another mirror from your country
(4)      Retry another mirror
(5)      Retry using next mirror set "gnome"

How do you want to proceed? [3] 1
Failed: file download failed for gnome-icon-theme-1.2.3.tar.bz2 of package gnome-icon-theme-1.2.3-5
Creating/updating cache of fink package listings for command completions

% sudo apt-get install gnumeric Reading Package Lists... Done Building Dependency Tree... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: gnumeric 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded. Need to get 17.9MB of archives. After unpacking 52.1MB will be used. Get:1 http://pmac unstable/main gnumeric 1.4.1-1 [17.9MB] Fetched 17.9MB in 11s (1488kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package gnumeric. (Reading database ... 81985 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking gnumeric (from .../gnumeric_1.4.1-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ... Setting up gnumeric (1.4.1-1) ...