I noticed that I have various fonts, such as cmsy10.ttf, in

  /sw/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf

firefox is not finding this font, and if I double-click on it I get a
window which says "Not Installed" at the bottom.

What's the right way to install such fonts?  Ideally, I would just
add this directory to a search path, or add a symlink to it from
somewhere, so that any future fonts that get put in this directory by
fink would be automatically found.

Thanks for any help,

Dan