Daniel Macks wrote:
[]
> it is something in qt4-x11 itself that wants libiconv not just "want
> it because use glib2 and glib2 is what actually wants it", so it's up
> to qt4-x11 to pass that linker flag itself. Until now, it just got
> lucky that glib2 was sloppy and published all the libs it used, even
> the ones that were only internal-implementation details.

After some more interrogation of the suspects, I think you are right.

qt4-x11 has tests for the existence of iconv, and it knows about two
variants, iconv and gnu-libiconv. In the tests, it dutifully links with
-liconv for both variants, but then when it creates src/corelib/Makefile
using src/corelib/codecs/codecs.pri, it suddenly decides that it needs
-liconv only for the gnu-libiconv variant and not for the iconv variant.
At least, that's how I decipher that *.pri code. And since it had found
that we are using the iconv variant, there is no -liconv on the linker
line, unless it is brought in by some other dependency, like it used to
be with glib2.

Adding a line
   LIBS += -liconv
to src/corelib/codecs/codecs.pri, for example using the line

perl -pi.bak -e 's|contains\(QT_CONFIG,iconv\).*|$&\n LIBS += -liconv|'
src/corelib/codecs/codecs.pri

before configure in qt4-x11.info, lets the build go through for me.

BTW, qt4-mac does not suffer from this problem, because when building
corelibs/codecs, it thinks it is not on Unix and therefore defines its
own iconv stuff locally without reading iconv.h nor linking to libiconv.

--
Martin