I will try this again-
The latest Gnome runs, but any attempt to input text is hopeless. The
character mapping is chaotic, at best. If I start X11 by itself (i.e.,
without a .xinitrc file), the keyboard maps correctly and all is well.
If I start up Gnome, all is lost.

The setup: OS 10.5.5, latest fink (unstable tree), latest developer
stuff, PPC G4
(PB 1.67MHz), all fink updates successfully applied. X11 2.3.1
installed.

I use the recommended .xinitrc:
. /sw/bin/init.sh
quartz-wm --only-proxy &
exec gnome-session

Hint 7.3 "If you're starting XFree86 from the command line, you can
pass the name of the keymapping file to load as an option, as in:
startx -- -quartz -keymap USA.keymapping" doesn't work, and I don't
know how to initiate keymap USA.keymapping from the .xinitrc file.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Stan