Just an FYI, the latest version of maxima at their sourceforge site is 5.17.1, perhaps it fixes this error.

On 22 Jan 2009, at 04:01, Alexander Hansen wrote:

Jean-François Mertens wrote:

On 22 Jan 2009, at 03:01, Sean Lake wrote:

Hello all,

There's a bug in maxima 5.17.0-5. The input I type in is:

integrate(r^(-3), r, R, inf);

The output maxima gives me (after responding that R is positive) is:

Integral is divergent
 -- an error.  To debug this try debugmode(true);

I get the same, with the previous version of maxima and sbcl
(machine just got back from repair, still updating..)
_ and also with "maxima -l clisp" (I build maxima with both lisp
engines enabled).
Even just with :
integrate(r^(-3),r,3,inf);

I don't know if this needs to be passed upstream or not, but thought
I'd run it by the list first.

Definitely, to maxima (conceivably still something wrong in the
syntax ?
But doesn't seem to me.)

JF Mertens

I tried 5.13.0 on a Linux box, and got the right answer.  I tried
5.17.0
on Windows (built versus GCL, I believe), and it gives the same
error as
for ours.  I'm inclined to blame the current maxima itself on this.

Seems you have the most information to send the bug upstream ...  :)

JF