Franco Vaccari wrote:
> Hi, I'm facing problems installing gcc43:
>
> [ps01:~] vaccari% fink install gcc43
> Password:
> Information about 7898 packages read in 6 seconds.
>
> WARNING: The package gcc43 Depends on xcode,
>        but xcode only allows things to BuildDepend on it.
>
> The following package will be installed or updated:
>   gcc43
> The following additional package will be installed:
>   gcc43-shlibs
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Failed: Package requirements not satisfied
> [ps01:~] vaccari%
>
> This is the list of gcc and xcode:
>
> [ps01:~] vaccari% fink list xcode gcc
> Information about 7898 packages read in 5 seconds.
>       avr-gcc          4.2.0-2      GNU GCC for ATMEL AVR micro
> controllers
>       broken-gcc       3.3-1        [virtual package representing a
> broken gc...
>       gcc2             2.95.2-0     [virtual package representing the
> gcc 2.9...
>       gcc2.95          2.95.2-0     [virtual package representing the
> gcc 2.9...
>       gcc3.1           3.1-0        [virtual package representing the
> gcc 3.1...
>   i   gcc3.3           3.3-1823     [virtual package representing the
> gcc 3.3...
>       gcc4             2:4.1.99999  OBSOLETE - GNU Compiler Collection
> Version 4
>       gcc4-shlibs      2:4.1.99999  Shared libraries for gcc4
>   i   gcc4.0           4.0.1-5465   [virtual package representing the
> gcc 4.0...
> (i)  gcc42            4.2.3-1000   GNU Compiler Collection Version 4.2
> (i)  gcc42-shlibs     4.2.3-1000   Shared libraries for gcc4
>       gcc43            4.3.3-1000   GNU Compiler Collection Version 4.3
>       gcc43-shlibs     4.3.3-1000   Shared libraries for gcc4
>       m681x-gcc        3.3.6-3      For Motorola 68hc11/12 micro
> controllers
>       mingw-gcc        4.1.0-2      GNU GCC for MinGW
>   i   xcode            3.0-1        [virtual package representing the
> develop...
> [ps01:~] vaccari%
>
> and this is Fink version installed (on a Xserve G5, with 10.5.6 Server
> and Xcode 3.0)
>
> [ps01:~] vaccari% fink --version
> Package manager version: 0.28.6
> Distribution version: selfupdate-rsync Thu Feb 19 12:43:26 2009, 10.5,
> powerpc
>
> Copyright (c) 2001 Christoph Pfisterer
> Copyright (c) 2001-2008 The Fink Package Manager Team
> This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> GNU General Public License for more details.
> [ps01:~] vaccari%
>
> I tried fink cleanup, index and scanpackages, but the warning
> remains.  When I tried going on with the installation yesterdey I
> [...]
The warning is just a warning.

The failure is due to your hitting "n" and not proceeding with the
build, so don't blame us for that. :-)

In fact, we might want to get rid of flagging the "xcode" virtual
package as being only a build dependency since we have some packages
that use some of the tools from Xcode at install time.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink User Liaison