I upgraded to gcc44 this week. Now I'm unable to build the developers
sources for Octave.

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether /sw/bin/gfortran accepts -g... yes
checking how to get verbose linking output from /sw/bin/gfortran... -v
checking for Fortran 77 libraries of /sw/bin/gfortran... /sw/lib/
gcc4.3/lib/libgfortran.dylib
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... unknown
configure: error: in `/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/
local_clone':
configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
See `config.log' for more details.
make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 1
make: *** [clean] Error 2

bens-macbook-2:~/Development/mercurial/local_clone bpabbott$ gfortran
--version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.4.0

After downgrading to gcc43, autogen/configure/make ran without error.

It appears that gcc 4.4 is trying to link to the 4.3 libgfortran. Is
this a packaging problem for gcc44 or might it be a problem with
Octave's configure script?

Ben