Monic Polynomial <moni...@gmx.com> said:
> On 01/06/2009, at 12:49, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> On the u-tokyo fink build system, the build failure of the arts
>> package
>> prevents all kde packages from even attempting to be built. The
>> failure  is
>>
>>      ./build-helper.sh cvs       arts 1.5.10 2 make -f admin/
>> Makefile.common cvs
>> # Unable to find aclocal!!
>> Warning: Dummy script /usr/bin/automake-1.6 invoked
>> *** AUTOMAKE NOT FOUND!.
>> *** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer
>> make: *** [cvs] Error 1
>> arts-1.5.10-2 cvs failed!
>>
>> I cannot reproduce this, I get at this point
>>
>> *** YOU'RE USING UNSERMAKE.
>> *** GOOD LUCK!! :)
>>
>> I also don't know why they have /usr/bin/automake-1.6, but this does
>> look like a missing build dependency.
>
> I don't know why but the Todai Fink Team has installed dummy scripts
> for some programs in their build machines. I hadn't seen this automake
> one yet, but I've noticed that /usr/bin/xcodebuild is one of them,
> which makes several packages fail to build.

At one point I had rationalized to myself why they did this, but now I
can't really for the general case. Anyway, kde-admin seems to use
"first automake in PATH", which picks /usr/bin because there is no
automake1.x BuildDepends. Given it was found, kde-admin sanely tries
to use it and assumes it will behave as it should if it came from
apple (and fink is pretty clear about the expection of apple stuff
being as-distributed-by-apple). One quick solution (I think) would be
to add a BDep to make sure there *is* a fink automake available. A
more solid solution would have kde-admin be adjusted to use fink's
autotools explicitly (which forces maintainers to add BDep) rather
than relying on shaky PATH searching.

dan

--
Daniel Macks