On 29/08/2009, at 09:54, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2009, at 6:16 AM, monipol wrote:
> On 28/08/2009, at 23:09, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> I see arpack on the finkproject.org homepage ....
>>>
>>>     "2009-08-28: arpack-96patched-1 (Solve large scale eigenvalue
>>> problems)"
>>>     http://www.finkproject.org/index.php?phpLang=en
>>>
>>> .... but I don't see it in the list of packages (on line for from
>>> the
>>> terminal).
>>>
>>> Can someone explain?
>>
>> You haven't provided any information about your system, so I'd
>> guess it's because:
>>
>> * arpack is only available on the unstable tree. The following FAQ
>> entry explains how to enable that tree:
>>
>> http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-fink.php#unstable
>
> I've got unstable turned on.
>
>> * You might be stuck at the point release (July 2008 IIRC) and
>> maybe arpack was released after the point release. Using either
>> rsync or cvs for selfupdate should bring you up-to-date. The
>> following FAQ section explains how to change from point to rsync or
>> cvs:
>>
>> http://www.finkproject.org/faq/upgrade-fink.php
>
> I first noticed this a week or so back. It is likely that something
> like that was my problem.
>
> At the moment my problem might be that I've upgraded to Mac OS 10.6
> and choose the 32bit branch. Is arpack available for 10.6?

I don't see any restrictions on arpack so it should be available on
10.6. I'm not 100% sure though because I'm not running Snow Leopard yet.

Have you followed the upgrade instructions available on Fink's home
page?

http://www.finkproject.org

>> I've written an article that explains these point, rsync, cvs
>> selfupdate options:
>>
>> http://finkers.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/selfupdate-methods-point-rsync-cvs/
>
> Very nice. I hadn't realized there was a Fink blog.
>
> Ben

Cheers,

--
monipol
http://finkers.wordpress.com

Submitting a Fink bug report? Read this:
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/netiquette/index.php
http://finkers.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/bug-reports/