Alex,
        I can't BDep on xcode >= 3.1 because 10.4 (supported) only has
XCode 2.5.  It's only darwin9 that updated compilers in mid-life, and
needs such an enforcement to guarantee consistency across everyone's
builds.  Part of that consistency is verifying that XCode and friends are
reasonably/equally up-to-date.
        Fortunately, darwin8 and darwin10 are just fine using the default
system compiler.

Fang

David Fang
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/