On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:25:50 +0100, Peter Dyballa
<peter_dyba...@freenet.de> wrote:

> Am 24.2.2012 um 16:48 schrieb Alexander Hansen:
>
> > I mean that files from this package will overwrite other files
> > from THIS package on HFS+.
>
> Why do I get no warning when I produce the package(s) on an HFS+ file
> system? Will the files of exactly the same name not be overwritten?
> Or does it depend of the byte order in the CPUs: HFSX with PPC vs.
> HFS+ with intel? BTW, both use only 16 bits.

When you build on a case-insensitive FS, creating a file "Foo" when a
file "foo" already exists simply overwrites the previous one. I'm not
sure which case is retained in the directory entry (but of course it
doesn't matter because you can still 'cat foo' and 'cat Foo' and get
the same one "actual" file's contents regardless). When you build on a
case-sensitive FS, you get two separate files "Foo" and "foo". If you
have a package that is relying on Foo and foo being different (say c vs
c++, or a file vs a directory of that file's support files), you are
hopelessly broken on case-insensitive. And on case-sensitive, you are
fine. But if you then take that .deb that was generated on
case-sensitive and install it on a case-insensitive machine, you are
broken.

So dpkg (and maybe some other parts of the fink toolchain) have some
case-sensitivity checks and/or behave in some case-insensitive ways
even on case-sensisitve systems. This helps prevent a case-sensitive
maintainer from creating a package that will be broken on a
case-insensitive user, even though he would have no symptoms himself of
the breakage. That's one of fink's Prime Directives--"builds and works
the same for everyone" (even in ways you never thought would be a
difference or problem, and is the reason for most of the policies and
validator and other sanity checks.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks