On 3/30/2012 1:41 PM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At 14:35 -0700 on 2012-3-29 Alexander Hansen wrote:
>   >
>   >  On 3/29/12 2:08 PM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
>   >  >
>   >  >  I keep monitoring the 10.7 tree (I have a 10.7 virtual machine for the
>   >  >  purpose) and I keep noticing that no desktop manager (such as Gnome,
>   >  >  KDE, or Xfce) is yet available.  I am therefore wondering whether this
>   >  >  is a matter of issues with those desktop managers or is simply caused
>   >  >  by the fact that nobody has bothered to port them to 10.7.
>   >  I'm thinking it's probably the former.
>
> Fair enough, thank you.  Should somebody have any idea what are the
> issues (so that I can do an informed poking myself to see if I can be
> of help) and/or if there is still hope I would appreciate hearing
> about it.
>
>   >  >  In particular the only thing that keeps me still on 10.6 is the
>   >  >  absence of Gnome 2 (preferred) or similar.  I am an old Unix hand and
>   >  >  I feel much more comfortable with sloppy focus and the other goodies
>   >  >  offered by X so I am spending as much time as possible in there.  In
>   >  >  other words, advice on the matter is much appreciated.
>   >  Check "fink list -s gnome".  The whole desktop isn't available, but at
>   >  least some of the components are.
>
> It is half usable indeed, but it still misses quite a bit of
> functionality (such as a PDF viewer or a populated menu).  It is also
> a bit flaky.

If you have 10.7 running someplace, it is pretty easy to test packages
from the 10.5/6 tree. Sometimes they'll work as is, other times they'll
need a little patching, and sometimes they'll fail miserably :)

Do do this:

1) modify /sw/etc/fink.conf so the SelfUpdateTrees line looks like this:

SelfUpdateTrees: 10.7 10.4

This won't activate the 10.4 packages for a 10.7 Fink install, but the
next selfupdate will download all the package .info files so they're
present on your machine.  Therefore, copying them into your active 10.7
install will be much easier than downloading individually via a web
interface. The web interface is here:
<http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fink/dists/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/>

2) Search the 10.4 files (in /sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo or at
the above URL) for any package that you want that is missing and copy
the .info (and .patch if needed) to /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo
and try building the package you just copied over.

3) Let the maintainer, and/or the fink-users or fink-devel mailing lists
know about your success (or failure), including any necessary tweaks.

Hanspeter