On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:47:50 -0800, Sean Lake
<odysseus9...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

> I recently ran into a problem removing the "obsolete" passwd package
> on the 10.5 PPC fink. The package manager said there was a
> dependency, requiring me to use "remove --recursive." I tried to find
> a way to see what package was preventing the remove, but couldn't
> find one. Is there a way to see easily what packages depend on a
> given package? It's easy enough to go the other way, but I couldn't
> find a command to do what I wanted. I know that the information is in
> there, somewhere, since fink couldn't generate the error message
> otherwise. Does anyone know how to get that information?
>
> One odd idea I just had would be to dump the dependency tree into a
> graphviz dot file and make a viewable pdf of the tree. :)

  I've long used a one-liner based on that approach to determine
reverse-dependencies...

  fink -m list --format=dotty-build | grep ' "somepkg"' | cut -d\" -f2

  Depending on the types of packages of interest, -m might not be
needed and could use --format=dotty instead of dotty-build. The 'fink
list' stage of the pipeline is SLOW, so if you're going to be doing
this a bunch of times, might be good to dump that intermediate result
to a temp file to use repeatedly.

  dan

  --
Daniel Macks