On 3/30/14, 8:29 pm, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> On 3/26/14, 10:10 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>> It might be a good idea to insert
>>
>> -Wno-error=unused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future
>>
>> for clang builds.  This will let people with the Xcode 5.1 tools build
>> packages while still noting the unused command line arguments so that we
>> can find and fix them.
>>
>> If we want to go with this route, there are a couple of options:
>>
>> 1)  Insert it in the *FLAGS variables by default
>> 2)  put it in the compiler wrapper
>>
>> Thoughts, preferences, etc?
>
> I've just done option 1) in the github master
> (9a6c39a2b8f4c47d6da8fd6cda1e5f23a72bd088)
>
> I tried to be conservative and not change anything for 10.7-, and/or
> Xcode 5.0- .  I'd appreciate any feedback on this before it gets released.

I think it's a good idea. I have no preference on which method--I'm
still newbie enough with this that I don't know the relative pros and
cons of each option--but doing something global seems to me to be more
effective use of the package maintainers' time than waiting for each
affected package to be reported with a clang error before it can be
fixed and built. I'm sure that since March 10, you haven't had much
chance to work on anything fink-related other than fixing affected packages.

When you consider how infrequently some packages get installed, it may
be months or even years before every affected package is identified.
Unless Apple backpedals on the strictness of clang in this regard, this
will surely be something we have to deal with for the indefinite
foreseeable future.

[ObBadJoke:

Q: What is the sound of Apple breaking open source builds?

A: CLANG!!!!!

Okay, I said it was bad.]

Mark D. McKean
qpa...@quantumpanda.com