From: "Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu" <thibault.bridellel...@gmail.com>
To: "fipy" <fipy@nist.gov>
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:29:23 PM
Subject: Re: Problems running a simple PDE

I invite you to take a look at : [
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/examples/README.html |
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/examples/README.html ] for an overview of all
the examples written for fipy
and [ http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/numerical/discret.html |
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/numerical/discret.html ] for a
reminder on how the finite volume method works.

As for your equation, if you are in 1D, you may consider it as follow :

du/dx : is a convection term with a unit scalar coefficient, i.e.
<SpecificConvectionTerm>(coeff=(1.,), var=u) - you will find a list of all
available convection schemes here : [
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/numerical/discret.html#convection-term

http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/numerical/discret.html#convection-term
 ]

du/dt : is a transient term that you can treat as before, i.e.
TransientTerm(var=u)

and u^2, as a nonlinear term, one possibility is to update it during the
iterations.

All in all, you would write for instance :

#!/usr/bin/env python

from fipy import *
from fipy import numerix

nx = 50
dx = 1. / float(nx)

mesh = Grid1D(nx=nx,dx=dx)
X = mesh.cellCenters[0]

phi = CellVariable(mesh=mesh, name="solution")
phi.setValue(0.5-0.5*numerix.tanh(10*(X-0.5)))

vi = Viewer(vars=phi,datamin=0.0, datamax=1.0)
vi.plot()

raw_input("Initialization ...")

phi.constrain(1., mesh.facesLeft)
phi.constrain(0., mesh.facesRight)

phi_sq = CellVariable(mesh=mesh)
phi_sq.setValue( phi*phi )

eq = TransientTerm(coeff=1., var=phi) + ExponentialConvectionTerm(coeff=(1.,),
var=phi) + phi_sq == 0.0

dt = 0.01
steps = 100
for step in range(steps):
eq.sweep(dt=dt)
#
phi_sq.setValue( phi * phi )
#
vi.plot()

raw_input("Press <return> ...")

The sweep method allows to advance the equation of one timestep only. Then I
can update phi_sq which the next sweep will use to solve the equation. And so
on ..

Hope this helps to understand. I can however only advise you to browse through
all the examples, you will definitely find something similar to your case you
can start from !

Best

T. Bridel-Bertomeu

mailto:sergio.manze...@fjordforsk.no | sergio.manze...@fjordforsk.no ] > :

OK, this really helped. If I wanted to change this into:

du/dx + i*du/dt + u^2 = 0

in the following format:

eqX = TransientTerm(var=phi) == ExplicitDiffusionTerm(coeff=D, var=phi)
for step in range(steps):
eqX.solve(dt=timeStepDuration)

there would be alot of different terms. Where can I find an explanation on how
to change these variables you mentioned into an equation one requires to run on
fipy?

Sergio

Sergio Manzetti

[ http://www.fjordforsk.no/logo_hr2.jpg ]

[ http://www.fjordforsk.no/ | Fjordforsk AS ] [ http://www.fjordforsk.no/ |   ]
Midtun
6894 Vangsnes
Norge
Org.nr. 911 659 654
Tlf: [ tel:+47%2057%2069%2056%2021 | +47 57695621 ]
[ http://www.oekolab.com/ | Økolab  ] | [ http://www.nanofact.no/ | Nanofactory
 ] | [ http://www.aq-lab.no/ | AQ-Lab  ] | [ http://www.phap.no/ | FAP ]