Dear Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. It is helpful to know about this.

We have started working with the 3D Cartesian grid, first testing with a
simple spherical diffusion problem for which an analytic solution
exists. (We still make some use of symmetry, since we need to calculate
only one octant of the solution...). The FiPy results agree really well
with the analytic solution, and the calculation time is very acceptable
for now.

Best wishes,
Martin