Hi Jonathan

Sorry by my late reply

I think that the second one would be enough as I only need to read this data later for further processing. Actually this is not much an issue, as I can simply save phi and later recompute phi.faceGrad, which is also much more economic in terms of storage.

Thank you anyway for spending some time on this

Marcel

El 20/12/19 a les 16:27, Guyer, Jonathan E. Dr. (Fed) via fipy ha escrit:
Glad you found a solution, Marcel.

The issue is that a FaceGradVariable doesn't pickle itself properly. It stores
the state for a generic FaceVariable, but then it doesn't know how to rebuild
itself from that.

It either should
- pickle the correct information, which would also involve pickling phi
OR
- pickle itself as a plain FaceVariable, losing connection to phi on unpickling
(which is what your solution does)

Do you have an opinion on which behavior you'd like?