On 04.04.2011 12:45, Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:
> Vlad,
>>
>>      First, try to insert 1mln *random* INTs, i.e. not in sequential order.
>> Else you compare apples (sequential numbers) with oranges (random numbers) :)
>
> Good one. This makes a difference. Will put that in a list for a
> possible pro/con discussion.

And they should better be distinct :-)

We did some tests while ago with our own guid-generator and we are
meanwhile using guids as primary keys.

They have some overhead on insert, but pay back later (especially when
replicating data between many databases)

I hope I can switch from our udf to built in uuids in the near future.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Frank Schlottmann-Gödde

--
"Fascinating creatures, phoenixes, they can carry immensely heavy loads,
  their tears have healing powers and they make highly faithful pets."