Od: "Leyne, Sean" <s...@broadviewsoftware.com>
Do: "For discussion among Firebird Developers"
<firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Temat: [Firebird-devel] Fwd: Created: (CORE-4191) Define sequence name for
"Identity Column Type"
Data: wt., sie 27, 2013 23:47

Dimitry,

>    Does standard explicitly mention that identity's internal sequence must be
> user-manipulatible? Does it say that in must be the same type of sequence
> as "standalone" ones?
>
>    Say, Firebird one day decide to support cluster/cloud architecture and keep
> values in identity column globally unique. It will require an external source
> of
> sequentional values.

While I agree with your questions, I don't agree that Identity would be a
consideration for cluster/cloud architecture.

Identity/Sequences are a poor fit for such usage modes, GUIDs/UUIDs are much
more appropriate, since the chances of same GUID being generated by separate
devices is extremely remote (GUIDs that are generated randomly are
statistically highly unlikely to collide in the foreseeable future)*.

So, if cluster/cloud is a consideration, a developer needs to re-think the use
of IDENTITY in the first place.

Sean

*
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2012/05/07/guid-guide-part-three.aspx