Mark,

I expressed concern last week that there was too much "heat" on the list
and got told that passion was good - you can't win :(

You said "Personally I'd say that Firebird should at minimum have a
low-level API (which the current ibase.h provides, although it has some
annoyances)".

In a nutshell, this seems to be where the argument lies. If the
developers agreed that the existing low level API would continue to be
maintained and to support new functionality then most of us would move
on and get on with our lives, and if the Firebird developers want to
develop a second C++ API - then that's their problem.

Unfortunately, the response seems to be that everyone should move to the
new C++ API and if your preferred programming language can't support it
- well that's your problem.

There needs to be a compromise - but at the moment it seems hard to see
a middle way.