Adriano, it perpetually amazes me that somebody with such a keen sense of
database design doesn't dazzle the world with a brilliant new database rather
than continuously harping about the design of a 30 year old retread database
system.

> On Mar 21, 2015, at 6:46 PM, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes
> <adrian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> DPB is wrong in all sense.
>
> It's very cheap to parse, but nobody needs to live with its all
> disadvantages in a much cost (attachment) process.
>
> It's binary, every connection layer must support it. We do not talk
> about hardcoded constants in applications only.
>
> There is database tools, application servers, etc.
>
> And if you think in pluggable multi-provider, every connection layer
> must know every constant of every provider and every new versions of
> them. Or let people edit binary strings in files.
(This is, of course, completely wrong, but more about this later.)

> Connection parameters should be in text form.

Uh, you seem to have missed a few points.  One is that most transmission layers
don't need to look at the DPB at all.  Another is that if a transmission layer
does need to look at a DPB, it can -- and must -- skip over parameters it
doesn't understand.  And finally, if a transmission layer understands a DPB
parameter, it is axiomatic that it also understands the data type.  And, if
there is any question at all, the length provides a big hint.

Are you sure you aren't trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill?  We all
understand your brilliance.  Perhaps you could find a more useful way to apply
it.