OK, safe primes are "better" than ordinary primes in theory.  But as I
said, in practice, the strength of the authentication is based on the
two random numbers, which are not exchanged.  Any weakness of the price,
group, or generator is of use for breaking the verifier, not the
authentication or session key.

Is there any practical weakness for a non-safe prime of reasonable
size?  Probably not.  On the other hand, there's no reason not since the
only difference is a one-time cost for picking a prime. But the SRP test
vectors are probably good enough.

Google "attacks on SRP".

For those less interested in the details, see
http://srp.stanford.edu/advantages.html