On 3/1/2016 8:38 AM, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 01.03.2016 14:20, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
>> They may be maintained by someone else. We don't require our sources to
>> be built using VS 2013 exclusively.
>     Yes, but VS 2010 doesn't support member initialization on declaration
> (very handy
> thing), named member initialization, defaulted, deleted and explicit
> operators (must have
> for safe bool paradigm). I'm not even sure that it supports "override"
> keyword.
>     I, personally, like standard atomic template as well (standard mutexes
> and threads are
> crap, but can unify code between platform).
>     Using any of these handy thing will make Fireird not compileable with VS
> 2010.

That's an excellent reason for not making VS 2013 an "official"
compiler.  Dropping support for platforms so you can use new C++
features that really don't add anything to the language.

Both Visual Studio and gcc support atomic intrinsics.  They're
different, of course, but the difference is trivially papered over with
differentially defined macros.

C++ needs fewer and better thought out features, not more features.
Things like override, like pennies, aren't worth bending over to pick up.

Java is a vastly better language than c++ for application programming.
C++, however, is superb for things like, say, implementing database
systems.  But we don't need the stuff that C++ is adding to play catch
up with Java, and we certainly don't need the warts they're applying to
fix earlier warts.

Personally, I'm sticking with Visual Studio 2010 until I find a
compelling reason to pay Microsoft big bucks to upgrade.