On 17/03/2016 09:15, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> 17.03.2016 15:02, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
>
>> Was our svn repository allowed for arbitrary branch creation without
>> project discussion till now? No!
>>
>> Now with github that would not even be necessary as one could fork and
>> do his things.
>>
>> So, to allow arbitrary branch creation in the official repository, an
>> admin discussion would be needed.
> In SVN, we had "sticky" branches for releases, that's all. But the Git
> workflow suggests to use branches for the every non-trivial piece of
> work. I see no problems with active branching provided that working
> branches are removed immediately after merging upstream.

Yes, but branching locally, not pushing personal branches to official
repository.

Git remote branch delete is not even intuitive. I always need to search
and do things scary to delete remote branches.

I'd say, If I have a branch which requires major development and want to
backup it, I push to my personal fork.

If it's a "project thing" (a well discussed, something requiring
collaboration, or project do not want to see that work disappear if I go
crazy and delete my fork), then it should go to official repository.

Adriano