> > If I read the documentation correctly, a statement which performed
> > (say) a SELECT against a table that
>  > follows a NATURAL scan, which is 'paused' awaiting the next Fetch, would
> run into the timeout, even  > though there is no "cost" to the engine of
> waiting.
> >
> > Am I correct?
>
>    Yes.

That doesn't seem quite right.

I always think of Timeout as been a measure of the amount of time the engine is
busy/working.  Otherwise, why would "milli-second" based Timeout value have any
use.

While waiting for a "fetch" the engine is doing "nothing", so IMO, it should
not factor into the timeout.

{I have done some searches on how other engines handle this issue but haven't
not found any good details/examples}

> > Separately, it would be "a good thing" if the Timeouts could be set in
> > Trigger or SP -- perhaps via
>  > special "SQL_Timeout" RDB$Context for the "User_Session" and
> "User_Transaction" namespaces.
>
>    For what goal ?

To allow for the timeout to be customized.

Arguably, setting the "SQL_Timeout" value in the > "User_Transaction" namespace
would allow the timeout value for the *current transaction* to be overridden in
code, without the need for API settings.

Similarly, for the "User_Session", which would, of-course, apply to the next
transactions of the current session/connection.

Sean