On 10/05/18 19:30, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
  The key is that DST doesn't affect given time zone. TZ could be "standard time" based (such as MSK) or "DST based" (such as MSD or IST you speak about) but TZ itself is not changed with DST start\end.
What is changed - is what TZ should be used. But we (I) speak not about it.

Officially a TZ 'timezone' defines unique set of rules for the OFFSET changes for that 'location' and under the current practice, any timezone that has the same rule set since 1970 has been merged to reduce the number of identifiers used in TZ. Some of those rule sets DO diverge prior to 1970, so unless you have an OS that is using the backzone file the rule set used as a base will be used rather than the actual changes to the offset for the merged rule sets.

In many cases timezone is used - incorrectly - to describe the offset and not the set of rules plotting the changes to the offset.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL