I was just running the Jaybird tests against Firebird-4.0.0.1227-0_x64 (Windows 10). It has been a while since I tested with Firebird 4, so I don't know when this problem was introduced.

When running the test org.firebirdsql.gds.TestReconnectTransaction.testReconnectTransaction, I get an error when trying to rollback a limbo transaction:

java.sql.SQLException: internal Firebird consistency check (Incorrect snapshot deallocation - too few slots) [SQLState:XX000, ISC error code:335544333]

In short this test will create a connection, start a transaction, prepare that transaction and then close the connection. This will create a limbo transaction.

It then creates a new connection, start a transaction, look for the limbo transaction, reconnects the limbo transaction, and then rolls back the limbo transaction.

The rollback of the limbo transaction is what fails.

I have tried setting ReadConsistency = 0 in firebird.conf, but that has made no difference.

After running this test, the log contains the following entries:

"""
RAMONA  Sat Sep 29 18:05:26 2018
        Database: D:\DEVELOPMENT\PROJECT\JAYBIRD\JAYBIRD\FBTEST.FDB
internal Firebird consistency check (Incorrect snapshot deallocation - too few slots)

RAMONA  Sat Sep 29 18:05:27 2018
INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054, client host = Ramona, address = 127.0.0.1/61486, user = Mark

RAMONA  Sat Sep 29 18:05:27 2018
I/O error during "WriteFile" operation for file "D:\DEVELOPMENT\PROJECT\JAYBIRD\JAYBIRD\FBTEST.FDB"
        Error while trying to write to file
        The handle is invalid.

RAMONA  Sat Sep 29 18:05:27 2018
        Database: D:\DEVELOPMENT\PROJECT\JAYBIRD\JAYBIRD\FBTEST.FDB
I/O error during "WriteFile" operation for file "D:\DEVELOPMENT\PROJECT\JAYBIRD\JAYBIRD\FBTEST.FDB"
        Error while trying to write to file
        The handle is invalid.
"""

After this error has occurred, it also doesn't seem possible to gracefully shutdown Firebird. It seems to hang. After shutting down, new connections are rejected, but the process does not stop and needs to be killed.

Attempting to connect after trying to stop Firebird logs:

"""
RAMONA  Sat Sep 29 18:07:55 2018
        Authentication error
        connection shutdown
"""

Do I need to create a ticket for this, or is this a known problem?

Mark Rotteveel