On 2019-06-14 20:27, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 14/06/2019 13:01, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
And I repeat what I said earlier: if Firebird uses an offset that is
too large then I can't use the standard features in Java for date/time
handling and I'll need to mangle things myself to get a - hopefully -
meaningful value.

What is the Java range?

[-18:00, +18:00], see https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/time/ZoneOffset.html :

"In 2008, time-zone offsets around the world extended from -12:00 to +14:00. To prevent any problems with that range being extended, yet still provide validation, the range of offsets is restricted to -18:00 to 18:00 inclusive."

But given it is currently possible to store offsets in the range [-23:59, +23:59] in Firebird, a client needs to be able to handle this. Jaybird handles it by producing a UTC value. This is also the fallback when it can't map the region to a Java zone, which currently shouldn't happen, but might occur when a new mapping is introduced in Firebird while the Jaybird version in use doesn't know about it.