On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 15:13:51 +0200
Mark Rotteveel <m...@lawinegevaar.nl> wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't really see the point of maintaining both a
> VS2015 and a VS2017 build.

I guess there are three practical reasons...

Firebird has to be compilable across lots of different platforms so
maintaining different versions of VS helps guarantee that. Exclusive
reliance on a single compiler and toolchain can lead to portability
problems down the line.

Shops that do more than just firebird development like to build
everything with the same toolchain. It is not always possible to use
the latest and greatest due to ...reasons.

And then there is the fact that for anyone who doesn't work with
C/C++ on a daily basis setting up a working VS environment is not a
trivial task. A casual 'Oh, I'll just check that in the code' can
easily turn into a half a day or more just downloading and
configuring a new version Visual Studio.

So overall I think it is useful. But MS don't make it easy. VS Project
files are incompatible from one version to another by design. That has
always struck me as really stupid. Forward migration is possible, but
not backwards to an earlier version. (As far as I recall.)

Paul
--
Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com