On 10/22/19 6:19 PM, Leyne, Sean wrote:
It's faster but that makes no difference for our use cases. When working with
LAN passing uncompressed data is anyway the best option.
Compression makes sense only for very slow and/or very long (many hops)
WAN. Under that conditions compression's performance does not matter.
If you are using a metered connection to access a database, the amount of data
exchanged does matter.

Further, given the obvious performance benefit of zstd over other compression
algorithms
(https://community.centminmod.com/threads/round-3-compression-comparison-benchmarks-zstd-vs-brotli-vs-pigz-vs-bzip2-vs-xz-etc.17259/),
 the project should replace zlib with zstd.

Personally, I would like to see the project adopt "library" type for
compression approach which would allow me to use the 7zip library with the LZMA2
algorithm for creating gbaks and/or nbackups, it is multi-threaded (CPU intensive) but
generates the best compression.

In that case looks like we need one more type of plugin?
Certainly, it can be added in next protocol version, in fb5.