On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:38:19 +0100
Tony Whyman <tony.why...@mccallumwhyman.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I am not surprised that you wrote "it is more difficult than I thought".
> When I set out to upgrade IBX for Lazarus to the new Firebird 3 OO API, I
> thought that it would be a relatively straightforward task.

:-)

I know you have done some great work with IBX2 and I certainly don't have any
desire to emulate it.

Have you thought about putting this project onto github? It will get a lot
more traction and other developers will find it easier to contribute patches.

> The real question is who is the audience for the examples? Is it the
> application programmer or is it the maintainers of packages such asĀ  IBPP,
> Jaybird and the Firebird Pascal API? The answer to that question should
> determine your objectives for the examples.

I believe the audience is the application programmer in general rather than
maintainers of packages. Simple examples that demonstrate the basics. As far
as Object Pascal is concerned the old C api was too cumbersome to use in
a quick application. The new api fits nicely with OP. For example, the two
samples that I have converted so far - 02-update.pas and 03-select.pas - take
up about the same number of lines of code as the C++ versions. But they do
need a few helper units (but nothing cumbersome).

To me that is impressive - It is now quite feasible to knock out a quick app
that uses the new api in just a few lines of code. Nothing extra needs to be
installed - just tell the compiler where to find Firebird.pas, libfbclient
and the location of a few helper units. This would have been impossible with
the old api. So I think one of the aims of these examples is to demonstrate
the simplicity they bring to programming firebird applications in any
language that supports the new api.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves